Who knew that parenting could become more difficult as the years went by? The little children are more restless, the bigger kids are techier than ever and the parents are more protective. A recent study showed that about 75 percent of kids aged 12 to 17 own a mobile phone (when years ago you’d have to be a working adult to ever need one). Because of the rise of consumer electronics geared towards the younger market, some parents tend to be very protective of their children. A study done by Safely Family Locator showed that the most protective parents in America live in Missouri and try to locate members in the family about 7,500 times in one month!
Still, there are a lot of parents who try to use technology not to snoop around their kids but to entertain them so they’ll leave them alone. Qualcomm recently reported that according to their survey, parents who have tablets and smartphones usually give their kids gadgets to calm their tantrums. About 53 percent of parents admitted to using their mobile devices to appease their spoiled kids below 13 years of age while 74 percent of them said they even download apps for their kids! That’s a lot of numbers. If you’re one of these parents who would rather sell iPhone to get a bigger or better device to appease your kids, here are a few apps that you might want to try. These apps are highly interactive and also educational so your kids would learn to behave well when using your gadgets.
1. Pocket Frogs – For your future biologist, Pocket Frogs is like a tiny aquarium where your kid can breed and grow his own baby tadpoles without you having to collect frogs from a swamp or to sell your iPhone for cash to build your own swamp in the backyard. Aside from learning how frogs grow, he’ll also learn to be friendlier towards his classmates because he can play it with his friends!
2. American Museum of Natural History: Dinosaurs – If your kid isn’t much of an amphibian geek but loves reptiles like lizards and crocodiles, you may want to introduce him to their big fathers. Sell used iPhone and get an iPad so you can show him hundreds of photos and kid-friendly information about the biggest lizards that ever roamed the earth!
3. Penguin Whacker – From amphibians to lizards to birds! Penguin Whacker is more of an arcade game that would sure make your kid giggle and forget that big cotton candy he was crying about minutes ago. All you need to do is to teach him how to whack the penguins without your iPhone or you’re gonna have to find someone who’s willing to buy broken iPhones.
4. Toddler Teasers – For kids below five the best app for them would have to be Toddler Teasers. The colorful interface would definitely make your kid smile and play. It also teaches your kid about colors and shapes through audio instructions!
5. Wooo! Button – For the emergency wailing attacks your kid does, try Wooo! to make your kid start cracking up instantly! What does it do? Well, it makes your iPhone scream out “Wooo!” like a crazy hobo and your kid will start giggling like a ticklish caterpillar!